A Stone's Throw Reality
Philosophy Made Difficult

What is truth?

Labels:

Majority of us struggle with the question on truth. Almost everyday we say about things to be true or not true but nothing is more truthful that the question itself. What is truth anyway? Or if there is anything as true, how can I know it?

This question has been bothering me for a long time. My friend told me once that we can say a thing is true if we can see and touch it. Well, there are a lot of things around me that I can see and touch. I can see my computer and touch it so it is true. If I want to listen to music, I can get my radio, Ipod or Mp3, plug it in and play the music I like. These are true because I can see and touch them and it holds true to every thing.

What about those things that I can neither see nor touch, are they true? The air for example, is it real? I can neither see nor touch it but I know it is there. The sun rays also which I can only see when the sun is up but I con not touch it. It is also true because it is there.

When I was young, my mother would hug and kiss me and I knew she loves me. When my father taps my back and say “son, I am proud of you” I knew that he cares for me. When I grew up the right age with feelings on the opposite sex, I know my feelings were real. Even though sometimes I was not sure about those feelings but they are there. I could not see nor touch these feelings but they are real because I experience them and they are true. Thus, feelings such us

Things are true if they mean to us. If they mean nothing, we consider them as unreal. Whereas this idea is just a mere affirmation of the objective world, and a reflection of one’s subjectivity, we can not really sure if things that manifest to us are real or true.

One night I dreamt about sitting in front of the computer and writing on the question “what is truth”. Days have passed and suddenly I found myself setting in front of my computer fooling around with this same question. How can I distinguish this event from my dream? Which one is real and which one is not?

We can say for instance that things are true and real if we experience them. What about if I live in the USA and I do not know about the Philippines, would I consider Philippines as real and true? The same thing as Europe, I never been there but how can I make sure that Europe exists?

All that exists or all beings are true and real. What really makes them real and true? When I look in front of a mirror, I see a brown Asian young man. When I look at my friends at school most of them are white, black and Hispanics. They do not look the same as I look. How do I know if they are the same or different from me? Are they real? Or am I real to them?

Things we can say as whether true or not is more or less through out experience. But our experience is very limited and measured. If we rely on experience, there are things that we don’t experience which are likewise true. If there is oneness in creation, that oneness we can consider it as the truth of everything that is. If there is no oneness, there are so many varieties of truths and we fall into relativism. What is that thing that makes all one? Could it be the source of everything we see and everything we know? Could it be the one that created everything? What is an absolute truth? Is there any absolute truth? Maybe there is only my truth and your truth and a relative truths we uphold everyday. What do you think?

0 comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers


Recent Posts